Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The frustration sets in....

At week 36 of this pregnancy, the midwife I saw that day put in my chart that I was to be induced at 39 weeks if conditions were 'favorable'. I've been jinxed.....I have had non-stop contractions since that point, but none of it is 'changing' me to a more 'favorable' state. I GIVE UP!
I lost five pounds, and the midwife today told me that I am 70% effaced..but shut tight as a drum. I now have the cast iron cervix and the incredible floating baby...she won't drop. And if she doesn't drop and apply some pressure to my 'girly parts', then heaven knows how long she will be in there! The midwife also informed me that fifth pregnancies often go this way...lots of useless uterine irritability and little to no progress....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkay'....thanks!
In other news, I have officially taken leave of the hospital. My nurse manager and I agreed that it would be better for everyone if I started my maternity leave now, so I can come back that much stronger in about a month or so. She offered me a total of 14 weeks off....I don't think I need that much. I may take 8, tops. When I come back, there will be a high need in maternity, and I will finally get to cross-train, so that definitely has me looking forward to returning!
Even though I have been through the birth process a few times, I still find myself getting just a wee bit nervous as to how I'm going to handle it this time. If I am already in this much pain...how the heck am I going to deal with it when it's 'for real'? Will I even know? I am starting to get to the point where I can almost ignore the contractions, because I know they aren't doing anything to pay attention to. About the only thing that might get my attention is my water breaking...that I might have to do something about!
Sorry for the whine, folks....the wait is on.....for how long? Who knows?

1 comment:

Sylwia said...

sorry things are going so rough, hopefully in a week it will all be reslolved. good luck! i wish i was 39 weeks. i'm only 17..