Thursday, May 29, 2008

Yay Me!

As some of you know, I have always wanted to be a nurse. Specifically, a maternity nurse. Pregnancy facinates me, childbirth even more so. Many of you poor folk have had to listen (tune out) as I rambled on incessantly about the subject...thanks for your support, even if it has been torture...
I became a CNA out in California back in '92 or '93...too long ago for me to remember...I have wanted to be a maternity nurse since I was 10...so it all tends to kind of blur...Anyway...I wanted to see if I had what it takes to be a nurse, so I decided I had better start on the bottom most rung. I worked in a couple of nursing homes...it was tough, but I made it! From this experience I learned that I can handle any bodily fluid except vomit (sorry..tmi) I spent several years working in home health care and gained many invaluable experiences there. However..due to a couple of back injuries that occurred while working in nursing homes, I had to quit doing that and can honestly never go back to that environment. I can't do the lifting and am no longer interested in caring for the elderly...and.....I let my liscense lapse....
Fast forward to now....
I sat for my written CNA exam two weeks ago...that is a separate post all of its own....anyhow, I passed! I passed with flying colors as they said...93%.
There is still a second portion...the skills test. I am a bit nervous about this one...as it has been about 10 years since I have used any of it. There is no margin of error with this test and I have to pass with 100%. I spoke to the head proctor yesterday about a refresher course. I left several messages with her hoping to get in on one...she, of course, never called me back. But she did spend quite a bit of time on the phone with me, after my fourth panic striken call, and gave me all sorts of helpful details and assured me that I would do just fine. All the same, I would appreciate any prayers/good thoughts when I go in for this...June 2nd @ 7:30 a.m.
I am almost assured a job at the new Murray IHC maternity center if I pass everything...I am so excited by the possibility, I can't even begin to describe it...
I am so motivated at this point to FINALLY get going on achieving my dream, that I even called the Salt Lake Community College advisement center. I am going in at noon today to speak with a counselor about getting into the nursing program! 'Bout dang time...I've certainly done enough talking about it to last a lifetime!
Another bonus about this whole situation, is that by working for IHC, they will pay for my nursing school. I work for them 24 hours a week and sign a contract that I will work for them for awhile after I graduate, and I am covered!! What a win - win!!!

No comments: