Thursday, June 19, 2008

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner....SO NOT!!!

A few weeks back, in the merry month of May, a new Chick-Fil-A opened at The District here in South Jordan. It is the tradition of this particular restaurant chain to award the first 100 customers through the doors of the new store with a years worth of free combo meals. Rob had done this a couple years back at the Sandy location when they held some sort of anniversary bash, and we really like their food and it was FREE, for awhile anyway...
Back to the story....

This event was very well publicized, and we knew there would be a crowd, as hopeful first 100 participants could begin lining up 24 hours before the scheduled opening. The store opened at 6 a.m. on the morning of May the 22nd. I drove past on my way to a puppet show at 8:30 a.m. and there were already 3 to 4 good sized tents smack in the middle of the parking lot. As soon as I got home from my show at around noon, Rob headed out to stake out his spot. He called me after he got settled and told me just how serious this whole deal was. Once you showed up, you were required to unload your vehicle of everything you were going to need. They had an area roped off in the middle of the lot. Once you were registered and given a numbered wristband, you were restricted to that lot, and if you were caught crossing the line, you were kicked out. They were very strict with these rules, and would do random roll calls to make sure that no one left. I could not make it until much later in the afternoon, because I had another show, the kids were not yet out of school, and Brenna had piano lessons. The minute all that was done, I grabbed the kids and loaded in with all the gear I had loaded earlier in the day. It ended up that Rob was #10, and I was #30..oh, you had to be 18 or older to win the meal tickets, so our kids were just along for the ride.

It just so happened that the weather turned nasty for our little parking lot campout. It rained and was pretty cold for late May. They fed us well and had lots of fun activities for us. They had a DJ and decided to do a limbo contest for some free movie passes. I was a sucker and decided to participate. Now, for some unknown reason, my back was extremely sore. If I had at least, in some small way, used my brain-I would have listened to that red flag and just watched from the side. But no...I just had to try. I made it through the first round, and even made it under a second time. Upon attempting to stand up after passing under the bar, I lost my balance, and pitched face first towards the asphalt. My body, of course, did the best defensive maneuver it could think of and I threw my hands out in front of me to break my fall and save my face. I am a fairly stout (okay...FAT) woman, and I did not land lightly...oh no...all just under 200 pounds of me landed on my middle finger of my right hand. Yeah...it hurt...pretty darn bad! By the next morning it was really ugly and swollen and bruised. I got up at 6 a.m. and got my free chicken meal coupons and went home. My finger continued to bother me...for weeks. It felt like it was dislocated, so I would have Rob pull on it,(no gas jokes here) and I would pull on it trying to get it back into place. Believe me...that wasn't pleasant either! Finally my mother, who is a chiropractor, took a look at it and told me that I really should go to my doctor. I did just that................. 10 days later!!!!!

Dislocated? Sprained? Oh no...try BROKEN!!! They slapped a splint on me and told me I had to wear that for at least 2 to 3 weeks and that I couldn't do my puppet shows. I laughed at them and told them that wasn't a possibility. They told me to wear it as much as I could then and handed me an extra roll of stretch medical tape, and to come back in 2 weeks to see if it had healed.

So far I am doing well. It hurts more if I have the splint on, but I guess that's because it's holding my finger in the right position.

All this for free chicken? Was it worth it? You bet your tail feathers!! That's some dang good chicken....

And if you have a headache from reading all this rambling...I apologize...but I'll get you one of their lemonades if that will make you feel better!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, congrats on getting the free food. Not so much on the broken finger though. Sounds like something I'd do, LOL.

Sylwia said...

that's really funny that you guys would camp out for some chicken. i bet your copay at the doctor's was way more then the free meals yougot!!

sylwia hardman

momof5foxes said...

ummmmm....nope...my copay was only 5 bucks...that at least covered one of the meals!!!